Applications open for The Second Aral Sea Summer School
Aral Sea, Central Asia, Youth for Water
May 5, 2020
Today, more than ever before, water is recognized as a fundamental resource to ensure future sustainable and inclusive economic growth; and access to water is vital as a basic human right. Our summer schools are implemented on an annual basis focusing on United Nations World Water Development Reports’ themes. Consequently, The Second Aral Sea Summer School will be entitled to “Water and Climate Change”, and once again, target youth as young water leaders are future decision-makers, who will influence development of the Central Asian region and beyond. We aim that the summer school will be a tool to empower and inspire youth to choose nature-based solutions when addressing environmental challenges.
The event is organized by “Central Asia Youth for Water” (CAY4W) Network in cooperation with the Kazakh-German University, Kazakhstan and International Secretariat for Water, Canada (ISW) with the support of Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), International Fund for saving the Aral Sea (IFAS), “Barsakelmes” SNR.
Thematic scopes of the event:
1. Water availability - Infrastructure - Ecosystems;
2. Water - Agriculture - Food Security;
3. Water - Climate Change - Disaster Risk Reduction.
All three thematic scopes will be structured to develop a better understanding of transboundary and regional cooperation, as well as discover potential of youth for water and peace.
The summer school is open to both national and international students (bachelor’s, master’s degree and PhD level) from different disciplines.
Applicants for the school must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 to 35 years of age;
- Be able to communicate in English (Russian is desirable);
- Possess knowledge of the Central Asian regional context;
- Have work and/or research experience related to Aral Sea;
- Be ready to use the knowledge and experience gained during the summer school and contribute to development of CAY4W work in your country;
- Interest in three main directions of influence of this event is desirable.
- Participation of applicants from Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan) and Afghanistan is fully funded by the organizers of the event*
- Participants from other states will have to cover their own visa, insurance and travel expenses from their home country to and from Almaty. Other expenses including subsistence, accommodation and travel from Almaty to Aral Sea and back will be covered by the inviting party
Estimated date of the event: 10-18 August, 2020**
Venue: Almaty, Kyzyl-Orda, Aral, Kazakhstan
Deadline for applications
All applications must be submitted by Friday, 5 June 2020 23.59 (GMT+6).