In recent years, local eco-activists of Almaty have held various environmental campaigns in honor of cleanliness of tourist destinations and popularizing eco-friendly holiday. The number of involved young people, students, and activists interested in the issue of environmental protection is growing.
Objectives: Critical environmental situation along rivers generated the idea of organizing a field work with young scientists and experts in the field of management of water and natural resources with the aim of clearing the riverbed territory from garbage left by tourists, and improve the level of environmental education.
1. The conduct of the eco-campaign attracted great interest from the media, international organizations and more young people interested in environmental protection.
2. In September-October 2019, Central Asia Youth Forum for Water (CAY4W) participants and IWRM MA program students went along the two most famous routes to the Ayula and Karak waterfalls, accompanied by the Rangers of the Ile-Alatau natural Park. Two more 'subbotnik‘ were organized in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. In Dushanbe, Tajikistan youth collected more than 100 bags of garbage along Dushanbinka River, mainly plastic bottles and plastic and cellophane products, on the territory of 500 m.
3. In Tajikistan, the CAY4W National Coordinator gave an interview on «Safina» State TV about the past eco-cleanup, the importance of youth education in the water and environmental sphere, further perspectives and a change in attitude towards environmental protection. At the numerous requests of the citizens of Dushanbe, a second action followed, which took place on September 21, 2019 in honor of World Cleanliness Day.
4. In Kyrgyzstan as a result, participants collected more than 70-120 liter garbage bags.
5. Additionally, an informal meeting was held by the National Coordinators of the network in the countries with the young people to inform about the importance of environmental protection and water resources, the current state of the water eco-system, further prospects and development of the network.